Jul 15, 2009

Cliff jumping

I (Mark) was excited about jumping off a 35 (or 40) ft. cliff at Rick's Cafe. It is a world famous restaurant/bar in Negril...been featured on Travel Channel sorts of things. I've never been cliff jumping, bungee jumping, or anything of this nature. We arrived at Rick's and a little of the excitement left me. It's a little bit more intimidating when you are looking at the jump rather than just imagining it. We had 2 teens immediately get in line and approach the platform. The first went off without a problem. The second landed on the back part of her legs...not good. In pain as she gets out, she reveals legs that have already changed colors due to the bursting of blood vessels (doesn't sound fun, does it?) This pic was the back side of her legs taken 2 days later. This does not enhance my excitement. We had 2 other teenage girls that found themselves in the same boat as me. Excitement that quickly faded and turned into fear/doubts once seeing the cliffs and the other girl's results. They finally muscled up enough courage to do it...not necessarily because they wanted to, but because they wanted to be able to say they did it! I notice them getting in line, so I joined them. Now, they make you read this sign before you can jump...basically 'this is dangerous, you may break your back, your appendix may burst, you might not have any organs intact after this, you may die, yada yada yada'. Trying to not show any fear and calm them down, I told them I would follow their jumps since I didn't know if they would follow through if I went first. Reality...I was delaying the inevitable for myself.

First girl goes up to the edge of the platform, and comes back down. "Can't do it, can't do it." The other one says, "I'm going." She jumps with us two watching...Smack! Lands on the back of her legs and backside. She is crying from the pain as she gets out. The girl at the top tells me "No way. I'm done." Once again, I persuade her to do it 'with me' (AKA go ahead and jump so I can wait a little longer). She jumps! Good landing. I step up and look down...oh boy. No turning back now. 3, 2, 1 I step off. Smooth ride, safe landing, and another experience for the memory bank. It was fun! A different feeling than I expected on the way down. I'll definately be doing it again.

Allyson was super pumped at the prospect of jumping off the cliff before we found out she was pregnant. That sort of threw a monkey wrench in those details. But after seeing (video taping) the madness at Rick's, she is convinced she would never do it. What about you? Any experiences of 'falling' that you liked/disliked?

Love always,
Mark and Allyson

My jump


Random guy's jump (view from top)

1 comment:

  1. Um no. I like being alive and with all of my body parts intact.

    ReplyDelete